Thursday, March 5, 2015

Bokeh on my cards!

Here are a couple of cards that I created, which feature what one might call the "Bokeh" technique.

"In photography, bokeh (Originally /ˈboʊkɛ/, /ˈboʊkeɪ/ BOH-kay — also sometimes pronounced as /ˈboʊkə/ BOH-kə, Japanese: [boke]) is the aesthetic quality of the blur produced in the out-of-focus parts of an image produced by a lens. Bokeh has been defined as "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light". (from Wikipedia)

 This first card I used Pacifica; Pear and Lagoon ink to create a background on watercolour paper. I let it air dry, then stamped the sentiment with Crystal Blue Pigment ink, and embossed it with clear embossing powder. I took a transparency and cut circles at 1/2"; 3/4"; 1; and 1 1/4" with my Cricut. Then, I added White Daisy pigment ink, with a sponge dauber.  I randomly daubed the ink and made sure I overlapped to appear like "Bokeh". (A wee note...my sponge dauber had some existing ink on it, so when adding the White Daisy pigment ink, it did not go on completely white. I used a different ink tool for the second card so I could get the white to look white.)

I drew an outline with my Black Journaling pen, then added Outdoor Denim Chevron Twill Ribbon. I coloured some Clear Sparkles with my Shin Han Markers, then applied them and a Pacifica cardstock mat.
For my second "Bokeh" card, I created the background with Sunset; Pear; and Hollyhock inks. I stamped the sentiment with Sunset Pigment Ink and embossed it with clear embossing powder. This time, I cut stars out of my transparency, then used those to create the "Bokeh" effect with White Daisy Pigment ink. Some of the starts seemed to disappear a wee bit too much into the background, so I decided to outline a few with my Black Journaling pen. I also used my Shin Han Markers to colour some Clear Sparkles. I used Sunset cardstock as a mat.

Stay tuned for another 2 cards with "Bokeh" techniques using hearts and dye based markers.

All supplies are Close To My Heart, unless noted.
Stamps: Glitter Glam; Big Hug
Ink: Lagoon; Pear; Pacifica; Sunset; Hollyhock
Pigment inks: White Daisy; Crystal Blue; Sunset
Markers: Shin Han Alcohol Markers; Black Journaling Pen
Cardstock: Pacifica; Sunset; White Daisy
Embellishments: Clear Sparkles; Outdoor Denim Chevron Twill Ribbon
Tools: Art Philosophy Cricut cartridge
Other: Watercolour paper; Transparency

1 comment:

  1. Both cards are wonderful, Nancy! This is a technique I need to try! I did one once but missed the essential step of the pigment white on top and it just looked "meh" so you have inspired me to try again! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, Thank You!